A diode is a device which allows current flow through only one direction. That is the current should always flow from the Anode to cathode. The cathode terminal can be identified by using a grey bar. The 1N5824 is a Schottky Diode with forward voltage drop of 340mV and a forward current of 5A. Since it has a very low forward voltage drop, it can be used in reverse polarity protection circuits, unlike a normal diode which has more than 1V as forward voltage drop, 1N5824 only has 340mV drop across it when 5A current is flowing through it.
Compared to normal diodes, Schottky diode also has relatively faster switching speeds and hence can be used in high frequency switching circuits. The reverse blocking voltage for 1N5824 is about 30V and leakage current is also only 125mA which is kind of a downside for all Schottky diodes so make sure this does not affect the performance in your circuit.
Applications of 1N5824
- Can be used to prevent reverse polarity problem
- High Frequency Inverters
- Used as a protection device
- Current flow regulators
- Polarity Protection applications
- High speed Schottky Diode
- Average forward current is 5A
- Forward Voltage Drop 340mV
- Surge current is 500A
- DC Blocking voltage 30V.
- Peak reverse voltage is 30V
- Peak Reverse current 125mA
- Available in DO-201AD Package and surface mount type