The DS18B20 digital thermometer provides 9-bit to 12-bit temperature measurements and has an alarm function with non-volatile user-programmable upper and lower trigger points.
The c communicates over a 1-Wire® bus that requires only one data line (and ground) for communication with the microcontroller. In addition, the DS18B20 can derive power directly from the data line (“parasite power”), eliminating the need for an external power supply.
Each DS18B20 has a unique 64-bit serial code, which allows multiple DS18B20s to function on the same 1-Wire bus. Thus, using one microcontroller to control many DS18B20s distributed over a large area is simple.
Applications that can benefit from this feature include HVAC environmental controls, and temperature monitoring systems inside buildings, equipment, or machinery.
- Unique 1-Wire® interface requires only one port pin for communication
- Each device has a unique 64-bit serial code stored in an onboard ROM
- It can be powered from a data line. The power supply range is 3.0V to 5.5V
- Measures temperatures from –55°C to +125°C
- Thermometer resolution is user-selectable from 9 to 12 bits
- User-definable nonvolatile (NV) alarm settings with the Alarm search command identifies devices whose temperature is outside of programmed limits